Sunday, November 4, 2012

Okay So I've finally decided what I want this blog for

At first I was just thinking it would be an online journal, however that didn't work out... mostly due to my extreme lack of motivation. I just don't see what value my thoughts of my life would be to anyone. However, I've finally come to an idea that I think might work :-D

I am going to be posting weekly (sometimes more than that) blogs recapping the Sunday homilies that I hear and what it's inspired me to do in the week following.

So here we go:

Today's readings can be found here: http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/110412.cfm

This is what I got out of the homily this week:

Christianity is God searching for humanity. This makes it different from every other religion created by mankind in search of God (think of the Native Americans and Egyptians especially, they were searching for something they didn't know.)
Jesus will lead us to His Father without delay.

Father K. gave an interesting anecdote about a soldier during the civil war to illustrate this.
    He was the only man in his family, his older brother had just died and he went to the president in order to ask to be excused from his tour of duty so he could cultivate the field for his mother and sisters. He gets tot he White House and the security detail turns him away without a second thought so he goes and sits down on a bench nearby, really downhearted. A young boy comes over and asks him what's wrong and he explains about his responsibilities and what he had come to Washington to accomplish. The boy takes him by the hand and leads him past the security personnel straight into the oval office.
    Lincoln looks up and says, "What can I do for you, Tad?" 
    "I think you need to hear what this young man has to say," is his response.
    Lincoln inclines his head and listens as the soldier tells his story again. Lincoln immediately gave him approval to go home.

Fr. K. then goes on to tell us that we need to pray that we might learn to love ourselves in order to be able to love each other and God more.


And finally, a prayer I wrote just before receiving the Eucharist:

Lord, help me know Your love for me
that I may love myself as You do.
What You love, may I love.
What You hate, namely my sins,
allow me to hate as well,
that I may never offend you again. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment