Saturday, December 3, 2011

Into the Deep

    Plunging into the deep, taking a leap of faith...
    I'm always surprised at how easy and difficult it is to make a change in this thing called life.
I haven't had a blog since I was in high school and truthfully that was mostly me whining about how awful my life was so this is not going to be a repeat of that.
     Hippos don't live in the past. The can hold their breath for up to six minutes, something I wish I could do, but I seem to be getting a head of myself and on a tangent already.
    There is a story behind my blog name... though some people out there might think it cruel.
I was playing Cranium Pop 5 with my best friends Molly and Lauren versus our parents.
I got the clue "Hungry, Hungry Hippos" and decided I would act it out. Now it's like charades, there's no talking, so I started rubbing my stomach and they got hungry.
Then Molly, who had seen the card yells out, "Now point to yourself."
I, not thinking about what she meant, automatically did and then burst out laughing... ah, the joys of college and games you fail at winning. That happened a few years ago, but the nickname Hippo stuck.
     So you're probably wondering what that has to do with my blog and what my blog is about. Truthfully, it's about my journey, my simple life here on Earth trying to find out what God wants of me and for me. I don't truthfully know what that is and I'm out of college with loans to pay and bills piling up to the sky and no job. I am not a deep theologian who knows every issue from the mouth of the Pope, nor am I some backwoods preacher who thumps Bibles all day. I am a simple person living as simple a life as I can, learning day by day how to bake and sew, how to trust in God and myself, and how to allow Him to move me to help others even when I don't feel like it.
     Welcome to The Simple Hippo.

No comments:

Post a Comment